Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tung Chung Battery

Tung Chung Battery is a former battery located in Tung Chung, Lantau Island, Hong Kong. It is close to Ma Wan Chung.

Built in 1817, it is a companion of Tung Chung Fort of the south.

The solid wall of the Battery was discovered in 1980. It was named as Tung Chung Battery to distinguish the structure from Tung Chung Fort.

The Helena May main building

The Helena May main building is a declared monument of Hong Kong and a membership club located in the district on Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong. The present day building structure remains largely unchanged from its original building structure from 1914.


The building was built in 1914 and officially opened on September 12, 1916 by Lady May, daughter of Lieutenant General George Digby Barker, British Commanding Officer in China and Hong Kong from 1890 to 1895, as a respite for unaccompanied women arriving in Hong Kong. Lady May eventually married Sir Francis Henry May, of no blood relation to herself, who would become Governor of Hong Kong in 1912.

During the Second World War, the building was occupied by and later requisitioned by the Royal Air Force at the end of the war until 1947.

In 1985, The Helena May started accepting the women of all nationalities as residents.

Tang Lung Chau

Tang Lung Chau is a small island to the west of Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong.
This island is located south of Ma Wan, and is administratively part of Tsuen Wan District.

There was no spring or fresh water supply on the island so the light keeper of Tang Lung Chau Lighthouse use the rainwater which was collected from the roof and then diverted into underground tank.

Tang Lung Chau Lighthouse and the former light keeper's house

Tang Lung Chau Lighthouse and the former light keeper's house, located on Tang Lung Chau, was declared a monument on 29 December 2000.

The Lighthouse, also commonly known as Kap Sing Lighthouse, was put into service on 29 April 1912; it is one of the five surviving pre-war lighthouses in Hong Kong. It is a skeletal steel tower of 11.8 metres high with a white lantern on top. The steel tower and light apparatus were obtained from England. The lighthouse, now unmanned and automated, is now under the management of Marine Department.

There is a bedroom, a kitchen, a latrine and a store room in the adjoining brick light keeper's house.

Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall

The Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall is the main ancestral hall of the Tang Clan of Lung Yeuk Tau. It is one of the largest ancestral halls in Hong Kong. It is located in Lung Yeuk Tau, Fanling, , in the New Territories of Hong Kong.

The ancestral hall was built in the early 16th century in memory of the founding ancestor, Tang Chung Ling , the sixth generation descendant of the . It is situated on a site in between Lo Wai and Tsz Tong Tsuen. It is a three-hall building with the "dong chung" placed at the central hall.

The rear hall is divided into three chambers. The central chamber houses the soul tablets of the ancestors of the clan including the soul tablets of the Song princess and her husband Wai-Kap whose posthumous title was Fu Ma Tang Wai-Kap . Their soul tablets were elaborately carved with dragon head, which distinguished them from the others. The chamber to the left is dedicated to the ancestors who had made significant contributions to the clan or those who achieved high ranks in the imperial court. The chamber to the right, on the other hand, is for the righteous members of the clan, one of whom is Tang Si-meng, a brave servant who saved the life of his master. In the late 16th century, he was kidnapped with his master. Claiming to be the son of his master, he volunteered to be detained by the kidnappers in exchange for the release of his master to raise ransom. After the departure of his master, he jumped into the sea and sacrificed himself. He was awarded the posthumous title of "Loyal Servant" and worshiped in this hall.

The whole building is decorated with fine wood carvings, polychrome plaster mouldings, and murals of auspicious motifs. The Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall was in November 1997. It is located along the Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail.

Tai Fu Tai Mansion

Tai Fu Tai Mansion is located in San Tin near Lok Ma Chau, north of Yuen Long, Hong Kong.

It was probably built in 1865 in the reign of the Qing Dynasty. It was built as a residence by Man Chung-luen whose ancestors had settled in San Tin since the 15th century.

It is a richly embellished residence situated on a spacious ground, with a large open space in front and a garden at the back. The whole mansion is surrounded by a green-brick wall. It is a fine example of traditional Chinese dwellings of the .

Technology in digital recording of structures was applied to capture the 3D images of the structure.

Stone Circles (Hong Kong)

Stone Circles are expected to be found in Hong Kong as Hong Kong is rich in Neolithic and Bronze Age artefacts.

Lo Ah Tsai Stone Circle

Lo Ah Tsai Stone Circle was discovered in the northern part of Lamma Island by K M A Barnett, District Commissioner of the New Territories in 1956. Twenty eight large stones, lying buried in the earth on a slope 100 metres above sea level, form 2 overlapping stones circles.

This stone circle was investigated by the Hong Kong University Archaeological Team in 1959, 1963 and 1982 respectively.

Fau Lau Stone Circle

Another stone circle was discovered at Fan Lau, on Lantau Island in 1980. It is at 40 metre above sea level.. This stone circle is a . The use of the stone circle is unknown, it was possibly used for rituals. It is assumed that it is a megalithic structure made during the late Neolithic and early Bronze Age .

St. Stephen's Girls' College

St Stephen's Girls' College , which is one of the grant schools under Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui , is a girls' schools in Hong Kong. Originally on Caine Road, the school moved to its current location at Lyttleton Road, Mid-Levels, in 1923. The main building is listed as one of the declared monuments of Hong Kong. The school which first opened in 1906 is managed by the St. Stephen's Girls' College School Council. It continues to be one of the most prestigious girls' school in Hong Kong.

School Mission

St. Stephen's Girls' College is a Christian school whose primary aim is to provide good education in a Christian spirit. It strives to educate the 'whole person' by emphasizing the moral, intellectual, physical, social, aesthetic, as well as spiritual development of every student. It aims to help students to achieve academic excellence, to develop their own potential, to become responsible citizens and future leaders, and to serve the community.


There were 6 expatriate principals up to 1991:

Miss W.M. Carden

Miss W. I. Griffin

Miss E.M. Middleton-Smith

Miss E.S. Atkins

Miss K.D. Cherry

Dr. K.E. Barker

Mrs. K.C. Too , the first Chinese principal

Reverend Mrs. Jenny Nam

School Buildings

The Main Building was opened in 1924. It was the first school in Hong Kong declared a historical monument, in 1992, and was renamed the June Li Building in 1996. An Archives Room was set up to preserve and exhibit school archives.

The Jubilee Building was opened in 1958. It was renamed the Ellen Li Jubilee Building 1996.

The Hse Ta Tung Memorial Building was built on the site of the Primary School, and was opened in 1996.

The Primary School and Kindergarten was relocated to Henrietta School, renamed the Yu Lee Mo Fun Memorial Building in 1996.

In April 1996 the Reprovisioning Project was officially completed.

Significant Landmarks

The SSGC Alumnae Association was established in 1926.
School uniforms were introduced in 1928.
The SSGC Parent-Teacher Association was established in 1951.
The Boarding School was closed in 1967.
Visually handicapped students were first admitted into SSCC in 1972 to receive integrated education.
Our 6th Principal, Miss K.E. Barker, was awarded the Honorary Doctor of Social Sciences by the University of the Hong Kong in 1989 for her contribution in education..
SSGC was chosen by the Education Department as one of the ten Pilot schools in Information Technology in 1998, as one of the Quality Education Fund projects.
Three past students had served in the HK Legislative Council: Dr. Ellen Li Tso Sau Kwan, Mrs. Rita Fan Hsu Lai-Tai, Dr. Rosanna Wong Yick Ming.


St. Stephen's Girls' College aims to help each student to develop her intellectual abilities to the full. Students are encouraged to participate actively in the learning process, and to strive for high standards. They are also advised on how to acquire and develop good study skills and habits.

On entry to the school in Form 1, students are placed in classes of mixed ability. Remedial lessons in English, Chinese and Mathematics are arranged in junior classes to give more help to those who need it. Later, when students enter Form 4, they may be placed in English 'sets', so that weaker students can concentrate on improving their foundations, and more able students can be challenged to widen their understanding and skills.

une Li Building

The main building, opened in 1924, was declared a historical monument by the Monuments and Antiquities Board in 1992. It is preserved by Government for its architectural beauty and historical value. In 1998, it was named the June Li Building.

The June Li Building has the following special rooms:

Ho Tung Hall
Kwok Siu Lau Hall
16 Classrooms
General Office
Principal Office
2 Assistant Principal Offices
2 Computer Rooms
AV Room
Multimedia Room
Campus Broadcasting Studio
Conference Room
Archives Room
2 Staff Rooms
Music Room
2 Counselling Rooms
1 Covered Playground

Hsu Ta Tung Memorial Building

The Hsu Ta Tung Memorial Building was constructed on the old Primary School site and was completed in 1995. The Mrs. Yu Lee Mo Fan Memorial Building now accommodates the Primary School and Kindergarten.

The Hsu Ta Tung Memorial Building has the following special rooms:

Jockey Club Hall
Physics Laboratory
Chemistry Laboratory
Biology Laboratory
General Science Laboratory I
General Science Laboratory II
Basketball Court
Car Park
Ellen Li Jubilee Building

The Jubilee Building, opened in 1958, has been renamed the Ellen Li Jubilee Building after re-provisioning in 1995.

The Ellen Li Jubilee Building has the following special rooms:

15 Classrooms
2 Home Management Room
Needlework Room
Staff Room
2 Art Rooms
Car Park


St. Stephen's Girls' College was founded in 1906 by the Church Missionary Society of the Anglican Church of England. It moved from its earliest site on Caine Road to Babington Path, and then to the present site on Lyttelton Road in 1924, when it also became a grant school. With only a short disruption caused by the Second World War, St. Stephen's Girls' College has offered a high-quality education for girls' in Hong Kong for over 99 years.

School Hymn

We build our school on Thee, O Lord,

To Thee we bring our common need

The loving heart, the helpful word,

The tender thought, the kindly deed.

We work together in Thy sight,

We live together in Thy love:

Guide Thou our faltering steps aright,

And lift our thoughts to heaven above.

Hold Thou each hand to keep it just,

Touch Thou our lips to make them pure;

If Thou art with us, Lord, we must

Be faithful friends and comrades sure.

We change but Thou art still the same,

The same good Master, Teacher, Friend;

We change, but, Lord, we bear Thy Name,

To journey with it to the end.

Dear Lord we pray, Thy Spirit may

Be present in our school alway.

Notable alumni

* Rita Fan Hsu Lai-tai, President of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong, 1997-2008, member of the council for Hong Kong Island.
* Winnie Yu, Director of the Commercial Radio.
* Sandra Ng, Movie Actress.
* Regina Ip, Former Secretary for Security